Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Uke Man Cometh

I received, finally, both of the EBay ukes in the mail. Sheesh! It took along, long time for them to get here. One was a concert uke circa 1950. The concert was deformed. It had a crack from the sound hole all the way thru the lower bout. It was warped and twisted and for about $200 bucks we could make it playable. Ell at the Folk Music Center suggested I plant a staghorn fern in it and hang it outside somewhere. I may.

The banjolele is much more interesting. It's basically a hunk of wood. With a coupla screws in it. I'm gonna try to gouge out some of the wood along the circumference of the body in the back to create a little more resonance. I'm gonna use a popsicle stick for the bridge. It will play someday soon.

Who knows what happened to the Woodchuck Ukesters appearance on LA Today? They told us we'd be on Tuesday and today is Saturday. A kid at school did tell me her sister saw me on TV, but I suspect that someone is confused. I don't think it's been aired yet.

One of the Ukesters was writing something in class and he wanted to read it out loud. When he reads, he always reads like an Orson Wells radio show and it's always about aliens and monsters and space stuff. So he reads his title (He's a nine year-old) in his Wellian way: "It Came From Uranus!" and there is about 5 seconds of silence and a girl in the back says to herself "Your anus?" and the class goe slap happy, laughing like crazy. I tried to convince them it wasn't funny, but it didn't work.

2 Comments:

Blogger Donita Curioso said...

Uranus is ALWAYS funny.

Hey, if the seller didn't describe the cracked uke accurately you should leave negative feedback. I hope you didn't pay too much for it.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Billy Canary said...

I'm glad somebody thinks my anus is funny!

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home