Monday, July 28, 2008

Billy's Dream No. 3 or 4

For some reason I parked my truck on the sand at Newport Beach just a few yards away from the boardwalk. Albie and I got out of the truck and walked over to Henry's to rent surfboards and then down the block to Blacky's to hang out and have a beer with the Dorreyman.

When we got back to the truck, the tide had come in and gone back out, leaving the truck half-buried in sand and in a sinkhole. I decided to back it out. I got in, turned on the stereo and turned the key. The wheels started to spin, throwing sand all over the place and slowly lifting the truck out of the hole. Suddenly, the truck broke free and began spinning wildly backwards in concentric circles and there was nothing I could do to stop it. I was dodging traffic and people and spinning faster and faster on the beach and skillfully avoiding passersby. The spinning began a sand whirlwind that rose higher and higher into the sky and as it moved towards the ocean it began to lift water and sand, sandcrabs, seaweed, beachballs, towels, umbrellas and all manner of tourist property slowly up, up, up into the blue sky in a mad dervish of beachy artifacts. At the center of the swirl was Albie, spinning like a top and shouting at the top of his lungs "How do ya turn this thing off?!!! I'm getting carsick!!!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home