Monday, September 15, 2008

Gumby Dharma

I just saw this cool cool documentary on Gumby and Art Clockey called Gumby Dharma. Sort of a bio on Art, Gumby, Pokey et al.

Some things I learned:

1. When first conceived, Gumby looked like a phallus until Art added the bump, which was modeled from a doo that his father once had.

2. Art was a follower of Si Baba (I think that's his name) and Gumby was once blessed with the Holy Ash by Si Baba in India.

3. "There are two kinds of people in the world: Prickly and Gooey," said Western Zen Man Alan Watts at a confab in San Jose attended by Art. Art named the two character friends of Gumby and Pokey's Prickly and Gooey after Watts' reference.

4. Art met his second wife at a clothing optional resort in Northern California.

5. Art also created Davey and Goliath.

6. Sneaky Pete, the slide guitar player of fame and fortune was working for Art in the early Gumby days and some one said "We need a theme song!" So Pete got the job. He made $100 dollars for the song.

At the end of the movie, Art is seen in a field of flowers dancing to the Gumby theme. Soon, Gumby and Pokey appear and dance happily with Art in the flowers as the credits roll by.

We used to watch Gumby everyday. I always wished I could ride around with Gumby and Pokey in all their cool vehicles and trains.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bull Thorn said...

Was it you who gave the name Gumby to Gary Jordan. If so what's the story. If not I'll make one up.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Billy Canary said...

I think maybe it was me. But only Si Baba knows why.

If I was you, I'd make one up anyway.

8:35 PM  
Blogger Donita Curioso said...

One of the funniest moments I ever saw on that show was when Gumby invented a robot that did all the yard work. Pokey said, "Wow, I won't have to fertilize the lawn anymore!"

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home